Wednesday, March 21, 2012

First Steps



We've finally started gardening!

We initially attempted to start our garden in the back yard of our 3 acre property. All was going along swimmingly until we discovered a sea of plastic sheets under the sod, covered in sand and broken garden gnomes. Not to mention the water table about 4 inches above ground level (I jest). But we persevered! The back yard garden is still in the works, but we decided to take the path of least resistance and move to the front yard to make our edible landscape foray. Here it is, step by step! We'll be updating the progress regularly, so stay tuned.






































Nettles!
I trudged through a mini snowstorm to find these babies! Boy are they worth it. I also grabbed a few roots to transplant in our yard for our very own nettle patch. What an amazing start to spring and end to the starchy indulgence of winter!

The nettle forest I found is about a block away from our house. Score!
Garlic, onion, home-made veggie stock, potatoes, and nettles. Blend. ENJOY! Such a tasty way to eat these zingy leaves. Not bad with a bottle of beer, either.
And so pretty, too, for those who eat with their eyes.




6 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic, guys! :) So excited to watch your progress!

    Now I wish I had more to show off than just my broccoli sprouts in toilet paper rolls... ;)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Broccoli sprouts in toilet paper rolls are awesome! In fact, I need to do some of those up myself! Such a clever idea- and so much more sensible than buying peat pots. Also, broccoli is amazing. And so are you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. You're a sweetheart as usual! When are you going to trade in your overalls for some city clothes and become a city mouse for the day? :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not allowed to wear my overalls and wellies?! Naah, I need a good anthro trip to replace my favourite wool cardigan that is now child-sized due to a hot water bath. And we all know that you must already be dressed chic-ly to go there! I would love to come for a visit ASAP! I just got a new job and will know my schedules pretty soon. Can't wait for a good ol' visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely! You could use some city R&R, and I'm up for another trip to Burgoo, or mayhaps some place new! ;) I can show you all of the shopping I have been doing in my spare time, too! Let me know when you know!

      Delete